10/21/16

Pause or Prayer: SATURDAY 10/22

Image source

I watch a leaf, falling from its branch,
   skittering here and there,
      dancing down the street
         on the wind's own whim and will...

I follow that one leaf:
   it dawdles and it pokes along and of a sudden,
      with surprising lift, it leaps - a jeté -
         sprung of a spirit my soul desires...

I am that leaf, Lord,
   skipping all about but sometimes stalled
      still upon a grassy path,
         keeping secrets I long to shout...
              
I am that leaf
   and your Spirit's breath beneath
      gives me flight and then, gently,
         sets me down to rest...

I am that leaf and without your breath
   I'd have no power
      to rise above what keeps me down,
         to fly beyond what holds me back...
     
I am that leaf, I cry to you
    "Lord,  lift me up,
        raise me out of sorrow's depths
           to joy I'll find in you alone...

When your power lifts me up
   let nothing weigh so heavy on my heart
      that I should fail and fall
         and miss your Spirit's wing...

I'm that leaf and you're the wind I need
   to breathe, to dance, to run, to play, 
      to live and make my way with grace
         along my lonely path...

In the quiet of my prayer 
   and with your Spirit's power
      lift me up and carry me
         to where you'd have me go today...

In the stillness help me see
   the days and ways you've carried me 
      when I've not guessed or known 
         the source of all my strength...

In my prayer, Lord, help me know
   your Spirit's been my life and hope
      when I have been that lonely leaf,
         fluttering and falling from its branch... 

Amen.





 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!